Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wants: Carlyle and Carlyle, Two Down, Four To Go

I broke down the other day and bought two volumes of a six volume set I have simply not been able to find in any bookshop or on line. I have been looking for years, and the volumes simply seem to have vanished.

I found volumes three and four Carlyle and Carlyel's "A History of Medieval Political Thought In The West", published by William Blackwood and Sons in 1915, at a used bookshop in Edinburgh a week or so ago. I was going to walk away from them. After all, what good is a broken set? But I bought them nonetheless. So now my search is confined to volumes one, two, five and six.

When last I posted about this, someone found a facsimile edition. Thanks for the tip, but I am looking for the hardcover edition published in 1915. If anyone finds one of these volumes, please let me know.